This must be done to gain the State of Peace
One must be:
- Able, upright and straightforward; Approachable, well-disciplined mild and not proud.
- Easily contented and easily supportable; Not caught up in too many "duties" and
frugal in one's wants.
- Calm in mind, discriminative and courteous; Not misled by the views of the crowd, Avoiding
any deeds blameworthy by the wise,
Thinking always thus :
- May all beings be happy and safe, May they all have tranquil minds.
- Whatsoever pulsates with the breath of life -- the frail or strong, without exception --
the long, the large, the medium, the short, the thin or fat; Those visible and those invisible,
- Those living far away or nearby; Beings who are already born and those yet unborn -- May
they all be happy.
- May no one deceive another, nor despise him in any way, anywhere.
- Let no one wish another ill, owing to anger or provocation.
- Just as a mother would protect her son -- her only son -- with her life -- even so, let
him cultivate this boundless love to all living beings.
- Radiating with loving thoughts of kindness towards all the world, free from anger, malice
or anxiety -- above, blelow and in all directions.
- And while standing, walking, sitting or reclining -- still free from drowsiness -- let him
maintain this state of mindfulness termed the "Highest Living".
- And living free from mere views, being virtuous, perfect in insight, free from worldly desire,
never again shall he be entangled in the round of re-birth.